Wednesday 30 May 2012

I want to add an addendum to my previous post now that the dust has settled (I hope!)

First, I want to thank the many friends who have supported me online and personally. I am not going to name individuals as this blog is open to all and I do not want anyone to be the next in the line of fire if such would be the case. The love and support that has been conveyed to me has not only helped me ride above this maelstrom, it has shown to me how much I am valued by others. I know how to "be a friend" but I've always had difficulty in letting others help me in return. I will not let my world be diminished by an ugly person. I am stronger than this, but sometimes we all need reminders.

Yes, I am an opinionated person, but I am not a self righteous person. I have had my opinions altered by meaningful discussions and willingness to review my thinking given other peoples' opinions. I will continue to stand up for what I think is right (don't get me started on copyright and posting photos without permission!!) and continue to defend friend or foe who is being wrongly treated. I will not, however, pillory anyone in public unless it is the last resort.

Lastly, I hope that this has raised the issue that bullying occurs at every stage in life, not just to young people, and in every society. By allowing it to go unchallenged we are giving it our tacit approval. One of the things that happened in my life that truly influenced my behavior in stepping up to the plate and speaking up happened when I was only 18. I was married to a serviceman stationed in Germany. We lived in the small town itself and I got to know a few older Germans. No one wanted to talk about WWII. The standard answer from them was that they didn't know what was actually happening with the Nazis or that they were afraid or it wasn't any of their business what was happening to others. I met a woman who was a secretary for a high ranking Nazi office who said she was just doing her job. I didn't, and don't, understand it. Looking at the state of the world today, I question how much has really changed. All we have to do is say nothing whether it is on the littlest or the biggest injustice for the snowball to start rolling.

I am off to post on Facebook and the Welcome Mat and then I will continue to work on a rug in progress......loudly singing "I Will Survive" much to my cat's chagrin. Thanks everyone for helping me get my mojo back!

No comments:

Post a Comment